Saturday, July 7, 2007

July 4: Arequipa - San Francisco

We spent the morning packing our bags and trying to make room for all the Peruvian goodies we had picked up over the past two weeks. After breakfast we set out one more time to tour the city. We stopped at the San Francisco Convent and joined a couple from Spain for a brief tour of the church, cloister, and monastery. The guide conducted the tour in Spanish, so I whispered translations to Jim as we went through the complex. Here are a couple of the pictures we took there:


We had lunch at an outdoor restaurant, La Quinta, not far from the hotel. We took a taxi at about 2:00pm for the airport. Our flight to Lima ended up being about 90 minutes late, so we wasted time at a terrace restaurant overlooking the runway, spending what few soles we had left.
We were happy to be going home, but knew that this trip to Peru would stay with us as a very unusual and special adventure.




Below: the cantua, the national flower of Peru.




4 comments:

MarieAntoinette said...

This Flower blooms in the courtyard where I live! I noticed that it is somewhat nocturnal. Blooming only when the sun is barely set.

Your sister,
Marie Antoinette

betsysw said...

Tony--What a wonderful account of the trip! I love your descriptions. I really enjoyed the part I shared with you and Jim, I only wish I'd been able to join you for the second half. It sounds absolutely great. Peru is a wonderful country to visit and I highly recommend it to all. :)

--Betsy

Tom Goldrup said...

Enjoyed your pictures and narrative of your trip to Nepal. A friend and I hope to make a trip there next year. Thanks for sharing your memories---Tom Goldrup.

Tom Goldrup said...

Sorry, I meant your trip to Peru. Guess I have been to Nepal too many times---Tom Goldrup.